As we age, maintaining young, vibrant skin become more and more increasingly difficult. Many of the different remedies and treatments that help us to acquire this beautiful skin require little to know exposure to the sun. With being out in the summer sun, it is incredibly hard to avoid wrinkles and sunspots while trying to get that glowing tan. Here is a compilation of treatments that can be done year-round to help you protect your precious skin against the harsh heat.
What Can You Do for Your Skin Every Day?
- Sun Protection: Using sunscreen is one of the best and definitely cheapest ways to protect your skin. While this isn’t necessarily a treatment, it should definitely be a priority to preventative protection. Lathering up with tanning oil or only using SPF 15 won’t cut it either. Regardless of your age, race, or gender, sunscreen (at least SPF 30) is a must. It isn’t just a must for the summer! It is a must for everyday! The sun is always out and that means you can always aquire those pesky wrinkles. Apply it all over and be sure that you don’t miss your neck, chest, and hands, as those places tend to show age.
- Mineral makeup can also provide some sun protection due to the zinc and titanium that are often found in those products. Some foundations or tinted moisturizers include SPF, but be sure to check the label. You would hate to assume your face is protected and risk harmful rays damaging your skin.
- Don’t forget your sunglasses as well. Your eyes can develop sun damage and even worse, cancer. Invest in a pair of quality polarized lenses to protect your eyes.
- Dermaplane: This is a quick and easy procedure that removes the superficial layer of dead skin cells and fine hair across the face, leaving your skin soft and smooth. It is similar to microdermabrasion in that it removes dead skin cells, but the process is different. Dermaplane is performed with a sharp blade, held at an angle and swept gently over the skin.
- Facials: Getting a regular facial based on your skin type and concerns can be extremely beneficial regardless of the time of year. If you have dry skin a hydrating facial can bring life back to your face, while oily and congested skin can be improved with a facial that incorporates extractions. Devoting a little extra time and money to a facial can benefit your skin for weeks afterward.
Taking the Extra Step:
- Botox and Dysport: Injecting Botox or Dysport prevents the development of creases in the skin from continual squinting or frowning. Resting lines (i.e. marks on your face when you are not frowning or smiling) between your eyebrows, at the corners of your eyes, and on your forehead are signs that you are a good candidate for Botox. It can also be used as a preventative measure for people in their 20s and 30s. By disabling the muscles in these areas before deep indentations are formed, Botox can prevent them from occurring later as well. Botox injections are quick and easy, and most people think they are fairly painless. Its effects can last from three to six months.
- Injectables: Restylane and Juvederm are two options for dermal fillers. They are injected into the skin and fill in fine lines and wrinkles. Fillers are most commonly used around the nose and mouth. Fillers can last from a few months to a year.
There are many other procedures that greatly improve aging skin, but typically patients must stay out of the sun for one month before and after treatment. Some of these treatment options include a photo-facial, Broad Band Light, Halo, and Laser Resurfacing. It is best to protect your skin during the summer months by staying well hydrated and lathered up in sun screen, then receive light based treatments in the fall.
A Step Even Further:
- Broad Band Light (BBL): Is great for pigmentation and vascular concerns. It uses varied wavelengths of light to target different pigmentations (brown spots, redness, broken capillaries). It can also improve pore size and wrinkles. The feeling can be described as intense heat in the section that is being treated.
- Halo: Stimulates collagen and addresses fine lines, wrinkles, and large pores. Tiny holes are poked in the skin, so the treatment goes deeper than the surface. When your body heals the tiny holes it creates new collagen which improves the appearance of wrinkles.
- Precision: Is a minimally invasive procedure, performed by a plastic surgeon. A laser is inserted under the skin on the face and neck to tighten the skin from the inside out. This is great for people over 40 in order to prevent the formation of jowls. As the skin heals from the heat, the body produces collagen and tightens the skin. It can easily be used in conjunction with laser lipo. While recovery time is not long (a couple days) with this procedure, it is the longest for the treatments we’ve mentioned.
There are so many options when it comes to improving your skin. Treatments can be customized to each patient and their specific wants and needs. These non-invasive and minimally invasive treatments are wonderful options for people who want better, younger-looking skin without surgery. They can also be used as preventative measures, prolonging the signs of aging and the desire for more extreme treatment options.
If you invest in your skin early, it will thank you later. Taking care of your skin will keep you looking and feeling beautiful for many years to come.